The collision of archaeology, cycling, and aortic valve repair

Pages

Slideshow Image 1

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Right Stuff


I finally figured it out. I know what has been holding me back. I’ve been at this weight loss thing for about a month and I really haven’t lost any weight. I’ve been working really hard. I cut back on seconds at the barbeque place and have given up the peach cobbler all together. I try to drink whey protein shakes for lunch and have cut back on after-dinner snacking to just one snack before bed. And the exercise! I’ve walked (many times) and discovered the rigors of the trampoline workout. Despite all the deprivation and physicality…nada. I’ve lost no weight. I haven’t gained any, which I suppose I can claim as a victory.

I was getting down about this, but I finally cracked it. I figured it out! It took the remembering a 1983 astronaut movie to figure it out. You know, the one that shows how those daring test pilots who became our first astronauts had it. They had the right stuff. I finally realized that I need the right stuff! What did they have? What was the right stuff? What is that I need to get? Then it hit me. I figured it out, the key to the right stuff. It’s the gear. Those guys went from leather jackets to kick ass space suits. What I need is some cool gear. I gotta get me some stuff that puts me in the “lose weight” zone.

I took a step in the direction of having the right stuff today. The kids and I went to Target and I got myself some nice fleece-lined nylon running pants—navy blue with a subtle but strong double stripe down the legs. The right stuff, yeah. I feel the weight running scared now. It’s shakin’, its days are numbered. I don’t quite have the right stuff completely yet, though. I am still shopping for a fleece top to finish off the look. I know, I said top. Guys don’t call it a top. It’s a jacket. At least I didn’t say outfit or ensemble.

I am still debating on the jacket to get. I am not sure which will give me more of the right stuff. Is it the New England Patriots Throwback Scrimmage Quarter Zip Fleece? 

It’s a bit flashy with the two colors and really may not go well with the running pants. That logo is wicked cool, though. Maybe the Coaches Speed Quarter Zip Crew with the more subtle Patriots script logo is a better match. It looks sportier, manlier.

 Maybe I should go for the more subtle and understated Disney fleece with Mickey Mouse emblazoned over my heart. I can even get FA (Fat Archaeologist) under Mickey.


 If I go navy blue, it would match my pants. I need to decide fast. I need the right stuff if I am going to jump start this lagging project of mine.

Once I get the jacket, I’ll need to put some time into the hat…and maybe gloves. By the time I get this worked out, it will be spring. Then I’ll need nylon mesh shorts and some cool t-shirts. Then my socks will be visible, and….

0 comments:

Post a Comment